Monday, March 9, 2009

Final Project Proposal + What Ifs

I do not think I officially posted my final project idea to this blog, so here it is. I have a rough idea that I want to capture the mental processes in a natural, organic environment. I would like to document my experiences and interactions with nature with and without the effects of alcohol. I plan on taking a camera into the woods, documenting what I see, and ultimately determining what, in my mind, brings about the most color, nostalgia, and interest in each state.

What If Questions:

1.) What if I were to use After Effects for my project; would it take away from the original idea?
2.) What if I used no edits?
3.) What if I included people and human interaction in my piece?
4.) What if I were to interact with my environment?
5.) What if I wanted to make some sort of stop motion piece out of my footage?
6.) What if my piece was done in the dark?
7.) What if this piece was filmed during a rain storm?
8.) What if my mood of the particular day of filming was not status quo?
9.) What if I were searching for, during this process, things that resembled something else? (i.e. cloud watching)
10.) What if I used some past experience to make my idea partial?
11.) What if I related some past movie to this project, and in turn tried to reenact a particular scene?
12.) What if I really do use illegal substances in the making of this film?
13.) What exactly would I consider an illegal substance?
14.) What if I ended up creating some musical score or piece based around the sounds I happen to capture while filming?
15.) What if I used no sound at all?
16.) What if I used mental thoughts that were crossing my mind as I filmed as audio documentation?
17.) What if I were to do this project 32 hours after I had last slept?
18.) What if I try to analyze too much/little?
19.) What if, due to my environment, I allow myself to be free of everything for a day, simply surrounded by nature?
20.) What if I do not allow myself to do anything else other than to film this interaction for a whole day?
21.) What if I become bored?
22.) What if this project does not capture anyone's attention; is it a failure?
23.) What if my target audience is myself; would this work be creative?
24.) What if my project was ultimately an excuse to be lazy for a day?
25.) What if I do not document my project at all?
26.) What if the video camera tells the story, not me?
27.) What if I try to do the entire project based around what the video camera wants to capture, not me?
28.) What if the video camera was attached to a helmet?
29.) What if I try to use objects in class to make the piece a "scratch and smell" interactive piece?
30.) What if I tried to make the piece 3D? (or what everyone seems to think is 3D)
31.) What if I use my other what ifs as an excuse to not make anymore what ifs?
32.) What if I have a better understanding now than I did at the beginning?
33.) What if I am bullshitting right now?

*Check the other blogs for responses to other's projects.

For now, I suppose this is leading me in the right direction. Does this piece have to be a turning point in my mental or academic career? Do I truly need to strive to find an enlightening state, or will this part of my life simply come to me? I suppose the ultimate What if question would be, "What if my life's work fails to leave a mark on who I was; would I be a failure?"

2 comments: