Sunday, February 8, 2009

So Weak and Senseless...

Interesting assignment. Our class was told to take a sense away for three consecutive hours and document it. What can I say about this? It's amazing how much we take our senses for granted.

I decided to take away my hearing. To do this, I simply bought some ear plugs and turned the volume down on things that I knew would sneak through (i.e. loud TV, computer, etc.) I am not going to lie; I am truly a weak person when it comes to losing my hearing. I basically spent the three hours hanging out in my apartment, as any sort of social interaction would be somewhat embarrassing and ultimately horrifying. During this time, I mostly worked on some ZBrush and Photoshop work while maintaining some small social interaction with my brother.

I noticed during my first hour I would incessantly hear a dim buzzing that I focused on a lot during this time period. After the first hour, I think my mind decided to not focus on this sound as much and simply settle for finding other things to tune to. We can trick our mind, but only to a point. The buzzing sound was only muffled over the next two hours. I noticed that I became very impatient during my hearing loss episode. I think I took around two or three showers during this time simply to get my mind off of the boring atmosphere.

Near the end of the time, I almost felt a bit calmer about the experience, but in reality, I simply wanted to get my hearing back. While I was without hearing, I noticed I spent a lot more time pondering things. One thing I began to think about was society's dependency on constant entertainment or engagement. Although I still had visual contact with my surroundings, I was not able to settle on this fact. I wanted more; a feeding frenzy that would engulf the media of the internet. As soon as I removed the ear plugs, I went to youtube, break, and spikedhumor to get my mind off of the dull experience I just had.

In reality, I suppose this time "to myself" gave me more time to think about life and its properties than always engage myself in things to "fill my life." After all, life is meant to fill you; or at least I've been told that.

My Made Up Sense - WTF Sense

I really think everyone should have this sense. Basically, if something or someone is agitating you, this sense kicks in, honing in on the target and ultimately giving you a breakdown on what the problem is. Because of this, reaction time for beating someone's ass or getting a date would be doubled or tripled. Ever had some douche bag annoy you to ultimate agitation. The WTF sense would be perfect for you. That douche's agenda would be so much clearer with this sense, and in response, you can use the rest of your abilities that much quicker. Kick his ass? Check.

Ultimately this sense is an evolution of our brain in which the organ can no longer tolerate society's "WTF" moments. Because we live on self preservation and inner peace, we need to be able to handle these moments with the most efficient means possible. No longer are reactive thought or intelligence needed! Simply use your "WTF" sense and take care of all the bullshit in your life!

Okay, so it sounds like an advertisement, but I somehow see this sense as being something that everyone would enjoy. We would be so much more content in annoying situations, and we would have no sympathy toward our actions in such situations as we truly analyzed and diagnosed any problems we had. I enjoy my "WTF sense." Shouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment